Dental care during pregnancy is as important as taking vitamins and regular checkups for optimal prenatal health. The Infant Welfare Society of Chicago recommends that pregnant women schedule dental visits during their pregnancy. The IWS Flash Pass gives pregnant women the option of being seen the same day as their prenatal appointment with minimal wait times. IWS has several payment options available for new and returning patients.
Prenatal Oral Checklist
For pregnant women who need dental work such as cavity fillings, root canals or tooth extractions, the second trimester is the ideal time to see the dentist. The dental provider will want to know the oral history of the expecting mother and if she has been experiencing any dental issues since pregnancy. Let your dentist know about the presence of swollen or bleeding gums, difficulty eating or chewing, or problems with vomiting.
During your visit, the dentist will check your mouth for problems like gingivitis, signs of infection, trauma or periodontal disease and other dental concerns. You may also receive instructions on optimizing oral health practices such as daily dental care and which foods to eat or avoid. Make a list of questions you may have for the dentist about your dental health and any complications you are experiencing.
Daily Oral health Practices
Keep your smile bright during your pregnancy and beyond by caring for your teeth and gums with the following simple tips:
- Brush and floss at least twice a day
- Use non-alcohol mouth wash
- Eat a diet rich in fruit, vegetables, lean meat and dairy products and avoid food high in sugar such as soda, candy and juice
- Drink plenty of water or milk rather than juice
- To reduce birth defects, get 600 micrograms of folic acid each day throughout the pregnancy. Foods such as asparagus, broccoli, green leafy vegetables like collard greens and spinach, legumes such as beans and peas, bananas, cantaloupe, papaya, oranges, strawberries, grains fortified with folate are natural sources of folic acid.
For more information about prenatal health care services at IWS, call 773.782.2800 to schedule an appointment or visit our clinic at 3600 W. Fullerton Ave.